two tiny teef

I keep meaning to write about Ada's teeny tiny teeth that came in right after her 8 month mark. She has been doing some hardcore teething since 5 months, and we couldn't believe they weren't coming in; I was sure they would come in while we were in Utah. Well, one of them did!

I think it was June 14th. We were up watching a movie at my uncle's house in his theater room and she was just being a grump. She would grumble and whine and want me and not want to be put down, and then be fine for awhile. Finally, cried a bit inexplicably, whined, then--ta da! Fine. I put my finger gently in her mouth and there was a tiny sharp bump on the bottom. She did it! And she was just peachy the rest of the night (it was the same night she climbed up a stair in the theater room ALL BY HERSELF several times. Small steps [literally]).

My mom and Ada and I flew out to Chapel Hill just a few days later and had to stay in a hotel the first night, and the grumpy grouchy Ada was back all over again. She would explore the room happily until she was suddenly not so happy. Finally, she was just fine, sitting on the bed in just a diaper, rolling around, giggling, being so so her. And I decided to take a feel; yep, a second stabby bump had emerged.

They stayed tiny a long time, but just these last 2 weeks or so have really started to come through and are getting big and efficient and so dang cute. They are perfect, and even though it changes the way she looks, in a way it is as if that's how she's always been, the queen of biting and leaving a mark on everything, rather than the gummy princess (and she was the cutest gummy baby anybody ever saw).



A couple of weeks ago we were in the kitchen, I was cooking something and she was crawling and standing up against things and pulling towels down, as is her jam. I got distracted with what I was doing and vaguely noticed her playing with my foot (she loves my toenails right now, they are still a fuchsia with flowers from a pedi). Suddenly, there is a sharp sting on the bottom of my left big toe and I realize she has bitten me! I jumped, startled, and she looked up at me startled, then needed a snuggle to get over a minor scare and a new taste. And I had a nice little mark on my toe for a couple of days, and a really strange story to go with her newfound chomping abilities.

Oh the things she'll do with those teeth.

Comments

Popular Posts