BRAVE

When I was in the Missionary Training Center we did an exercise with our class and shared the one word we would use to describe our companion or the person we were with constantly during our time there. I believed there was only one word I could use that could possibly describe my own companion if I could only use one word: compassionate.

She had this beautiful, determined look on her face and was certain as she stated the word she would use to describe me: brave. I was absolutely stunned and speechless. I was so very flattered by that compliment, and since that time nearly 5 years ago I have thought about that comment often in moments when I have truly needed bravery and a reminder that a sweet person I had known only weeks would believe I was brave.

I have started the believe that the bravest thing a person can choose to become is a parent. Choosing to be the single most important lifeline for another living being, another human in their most vulnerable state. Some days I can't believe how much courage I have to have to know I can continue getting up in the night to comfort and care for a crying baby, to feed and help her grow, to take her to appointments and to research endlessly to learn what I can do better. It's an entirely different type of courage than I've ever had to have, to know that I have a 24/7, permanent, beautifully eternal responsibility, all contained in a few pounds of pudgy, perfect flesh and bone.

When I was on my mission in Hong Kong the wife of our mission president once said to a group of women, "Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says "I'll try again tomorrow."

The quote is actually from author Mary Anne Radmacher and goes exactly like this:

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”

This is the kind of courage needed as a mother, even when there isn't much of an 'end of the day' because you're constantly going. It's one million tiny voices telling me that I can do it better in the next minute, hour, day and week. Knowing I can continue improving and being more patient and loving takes real bravery and is absolutely necessary. 

Thank heavens I have a little blue-eyed reason for the courage.

Comments

  1. I love reading what you write so much. You are doing motherhood, day in and day out and you are succeeding! You are doing everything right in loving and caring for that beautiful daughter of yours. Still, I love that quote so much! I love your depth and I miss having you a city away. Text me or call if you want to chat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts