4 weeks

I've decided that, for at least the last month before I leave, I'm going to learn to do something new, or at least learn about something new, each and every day. And not something whimpy each day, like some fact about how polar bears give birth to their baby cubs while in hibernation [though that is something I recently learned. I know. Bizarre.]. However, I'm kind of behind. So this post is going to contain more than just one of the days of things I've learned, and afterwards I'll just try to post every few days. Here is bit more about the adventures I'm having before the biggest of one of my life, thus far, begins.

WEDNESDAY MARCH 6:
I learned about another branch of Christianity today. And I also learned that that other branch is not so different from my little branch. I always knew I had similar beliefs as my grandmother, but learning more about her and what she sees and believes was that much more incredible and more insightful. She is an incredible woman. I also learned who I would like to be much like, when I am older, and hopefully wiser.

THURSDAY MARCH 7:
Today I officially learned that I am capable of being crazy about someone who changes your life and the way you think significantly, while also being able to let them go. With very little struggle. Possibly some heartache and never-forgotten memories, but with a beautiful and different and brilliant new lens for looking at life. It is worth the losing of someone tangibly, if you are able to take insights and thoughts and inspiration from that someone. I guess we'll find out if I really have learned to do it, though, when it actually has to be done.

FRIDAY MARCH 8:
I learned two things today. One, that I am able to beat most of my family at bowling. I know. Awesome. I played with my grandma, my mom and my uncle Ray. And killed them all. I guess all of those *fun* dates at the bowling alley for years paid off.
Second, I learned that good, clean comedy is SO, SO fun. Incredibly enjoyable, and a wonderful way to spend some time with friends. We went to a show for Lauren's birthday celebration, and it was just the best. What a great way to get a good ab workout and some glow-stick jamming time in, too.

SATURDAY MARCH 9:
Today, I learned how to stand up to those closest to me. We had some family drama going on [which is totally expected, seeing as we've had 10 people smashed in one house for most of this week] and after I found my mother upset and crying in her room over stuff family members were having issues with when it came to who was attending our little mission get-togethers, I wasn't having it any longer. And I let it all out, when a few people continued to cross the little line of appropriate family gossip. I let it loose. On three adults who are currently living with me. Yep. And though there were some minor repercussions  as there always are when hot heads get a little bit too warmed up, but in the end I had to be a bit proud of myself. And I learned something new and a bit exhilarating about myself, in the process of ticking people off. What a lovely feeling.

SUNDAY MARCH 10:
I learned how to give a good talk to a group of people, today. Truly. I gave my mission farewell talk in church, in the same meeting as my brother today. I was able to -- between midnight and 1:30 a.m. last night -- write a talk that I felt had clear sections, an overall theme and stories and personal insights from those wiser than me to illustrate the point I wanted to make. And then...I did it. I got up, though I felt ready to throw-up since the second I woke up, and I did it. And it wasn't half bad. And I said what I wanted to say. And people seemed to be even just a bit intrigued and interested. And I learned about myself -- I can do hard things. I can be brave. I just need some reminding sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts