President Nelson's challenge for the women

This is a little log I want to keep for the rest of the year, as I work to meet President Nelson's challenge to the women in the women's session Conference this last week:

1. Go on a 10-day social media fast, choose prayerfully and personally which social media platforms you will refrain from using or viewing during that time. I chose Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Etsy and I can only check my email 3 times a day. And since I started my fast yesterday and we go on the cruise Sunday (and I won't have internet access there) I will technically get 12 days on a social media (and phone!) fast.

2. Read the entire Book of Mormon before the end of the year. I am already a little behind but have a chart and am fully committed to doing this by making sure I read chapters of the Book of Mormon throughout the day. I have my Book sitting out so I remember between doing things, and I listen to some chapters in the car while driving, as well.

3. Attend the temple as regularly as possible. Matt and I have already made a plan to get help with watching Ada one Saturday a month so that we can make the trip down and go together, or to even just take her and switch off if we need to. We will go to the temple this month in San Diego during our vacation, South Carolina in November and in Utah for December and January.

4. Participate fully in Relief Society to build connections with other sisters and to help lift each other up.

I felt like the only one I could say I was 100% doing at the time of the talk was participating in Relief Society; because of my calling in the presidency I have been able to serve people in the ward and sisters in the RS a lot more, and better understand a lot of the struggles the women in the ward are dealing with. I haven't even been great at consistently reading the Book of Mormon for the last month or so, and we haven't been to the temple in a long time.

Today I started reading steadily in the Book of Mormon and already feel better, and honestly, I think I just focus better on what's going on in my own life when I'm not on social media. It makes me feel that I'm not worrying about other peoples' lives as much as I just think about being in the moment with Adalaide. It really keeps me off my phone too, especially not going on Instagram or checking email often. I already feel more alert in my life and can't wait to see how I keep feeling.

Comments

Popular Posts