the middle of the night

Last night Ada went to bed well but a little bit later than usual because she had a later nap (we went on the CNN tour downtown, which was fun!) and then woke up crying around midnight—but she went back down herself! Then at 1:20 she woke up and didn't calm down. I went in and fed her and she wiggled and squirmed and was WIDE AWAKE so we laid on the bed in the dark.

We talked, we read books, she rolled, she crawled, she played by the window. And then just for a second, maybe a couple of seconds, she laid her head down to face me and just looked right into my eyes. We lay there like that and I thought about a time we did that very thing while I fed her in the middle of the night at my parents' home at Christmas. I thought about how big she had gotten since then, and how much I loved her little tiny self, and how I didn't want her to grow but how I love every stage she grows into.

It was the sweetest moment and it was gone soon and that was just fine. Because it was sweet to just lay and watch and be with here, and it did not matter that it was quite literally the middle of the night.

At this time of life, I'm trying to savor times in the middle of the night.

Comments

Popular Posts