it'll be worth it

Sometimes being a journalist is hard. Like when I read stuff like this:

Inside the Dangerously Empty Lives of Teenage Girls

After being reminded what a horrid, tangled, ludicrous kind of world we live in, I want to A. Quit my job and become a hermit and B. Never want to risk bringing girls, and boys, of my own into the world where they have to face this. And where I have to try and raise them to not be totally crazy.

Yep. No thanks. I am already ahead of the game by not having children yet, so I think I'll keep it that way. I will take care of myself, where I am now more informed than I ever wanted to be about the evils children face, and am certain I can survive just fine. All alone.

And then I read stuff like this:

50 Rules for Dads of Daughters

and this:

50 Lessons I want to teach my daughter

Tears are in my eyes. I think about both of my own parents, and the joy and tough love and hugs and jokes and laughs and goofy looks and yummy food and great photos and holiday decorations and gifts and constructive criticism and games and ice cream and classic movies and fights and hand holding and bike rides and surprises and vacations and groundings and yes's and the no's and the hand-me-downs and the Wendy's and the silly voices and chore charts and the Family Home Evenings and the music and the home-packed lunches and the love notes and the shower singing and the pranks and the traditions and pets and the swinging in the backyard and the PURE LOVE shared in my family.

Raising children won't be easy. But it isn't supposed to be. Nobody ever said it would easy at all. It will, however, be very, very worth it.

And I think I'll keep my job.

Comments

Popular Posts