You just don't know

You know, I really thought I had some stuff figured out. I thought that I knew what to expect in some situations. Or rather, I did know what the expect, but believed that it would be different in some cases. Well, with one case, in particular. I thought that I had it figured out, and that I had discovered the one exception to the rule that I had carved into my mind. The rule of all nature and life: that people and things in this world will all almost certainly fail at one point or another. That you simply can't rely on anyone or anything ALL of the time. Except for the all-knowing Father in Heaven. However, I had finally found something, someone who was different. I can name a number of other times where, quite unfortunately, I had felt the same way so certainly, but then had been let down. This time, trials of faith, trust, understanding, compromise, and time had proved that this time it was going to work, and totally be okay. I had discovered something so different and special and I had to hold on in any way that I could. Suddenly trust and faith in people didn't seem so ridiculous or unrealistic. I was not going to be surprised; this, I was SURE of.
Unfortunately, that just isn't how it goes most of the time. We, as human beings, want to know what to expect, we don't want to be caught off guard or jumped from behind by the (inevitable) changes of life. But when we let our guard down and believe that we have found something concrete and 110% real, this is exactly what we let happen. We are taken by surprise and then it just makes us all the angrier when we realize what happened. We were stupid, again. We were ignorant, again. We let ourselves hope for something unrealistic, again. Why? Why do we do this to ourselves? As stated before, we are human, and these things happen. We want to hope. We want to have something tangible, here on this earth, to believe in. We don't want to just have to have faith and take leaps and always be on our toes. It isn't fun, or worth it, to be unsure. A moment of peace and calm is all that is desired. Unfortunately, we will get that moment, and before we realize it, it's over. But it's just something that we have to learn to live with. And maybe keep up our walls until somebody actually worth inviting inside, with similar walls, works hard enough to break down ours.

Comments

Popular Posts